headerphoto

Recession, Restaurants and Community

We live in the 'burbs. Northfields W13 to be precise. And we rather like it there. It's only a diddy house - but it's plenty big enough for me, the Sidster and now Denis the dog. The thing we love best is the fact that we are within walking distance to a little miracle of retail, otherwise known as Northfields Avenue. We're two minutes away from a bakers, two butchers, green grocers, a hardware shop, book shop, cobbler's shop, chinese herbalist, gift shop, craft shop, pet shop.... and numerous cafes and restaurants.

These are not fancy-schmanzy restaurants - but good solid neighbourhood restaurants that get repeat business. Our favourite curry house, Monty's, is so popular you usually need to book for a Friday night. So, it was with a mix of trepidation and sadness that we made our way down there last Friday. We hadn't booked - it was a last minute decision - Sid met me from the tube and we thought we'd try our luck. Walking down the road, I was struck that if we managed to get a table, that probably indicated the restaurant was being hit by the credit-crunch as the good citizens of Northfields pull back on their spending. As it turned out, we were lucky - we got the last table - the place was packed. Not only was I delighted to tuck into my favourite tandoori mixed grill, I was delighted to see the place buzzing as usual. I hope these guys make it through these difficult times intact. I think they will - they've got the core proposition just right : great food, friendly service, good value, takeaway box for your leftovers, and always the offer of a liquer on the house when they bring the bill.

It also reminded me of a particularly succint tweet from a particularly succint thinker - in less than the available 140 characters.



So this is what I'm going to do. When I need to buy stuff, I'm going to buy it from businesses that I want to be here in the future. It's Darwinian. It matters on many different levels. I don't want to create custom for child labour sweat shops in developing countries, nor do I want apples air freighted from the USA, when perfectly good ones grow in Kent.

I love the community that exists in Northfields. I love that when I go into Monty's for dinner, I bump into my friends and neighbours. I love that the guys there remember that I always order the tandoori mixed grill and the tarka dahl. I love that the bakery assistants get the pain au chocolat in the bag when I walk in the door. It's a bit like *actually* being in the 'cheers bar - where everybody knows your name'. I have palpable enjoyment from meeting people I know on the streets where I live. I want this little neighbourhood to do more than just survive - I want it to thrive. So sorry Tesco, B&Q, Primark et al, I'm voting with my ££. If I can buy it on Northfields Avenue - that's what I'm going to do.

0 comments: