headerphoto

Cue 2009

I've got a cyclical nature. I tend to spend the last few days of December reflecting on the year just closing; and January setting out a few plans for the year ahead. This year is no different, but I thought I'd share....

Not exactly new year resolutions, more a few things I want to explore and try out.

Learning is a key theme. This one kind of snook up on me last year - and now it's here to stay. I'd forgotten how much I *love* learning new stuff. Technology of course, new ways of working, new ways of organising. Mostly though, it's about unlearning some not particularly helpful habits - and making fewer assumptions. Being curious and asking questions is AGT (a good thing), and I plan do be doing more of that this year.

Trying out some new experiences. A range of things big and small: A trip to the Silk Road cities of Samarkand, Bukhara & Kiva; going to some lecture series/spoken word events; varying my morning commute (so I don't arrive at JGP Towers bad-tempered); working differently - getting my thinking/planning done outside the distractions of the office.

Think more about how I spend my time. And stop doing the things that make me feel I've wasted it. In the last couple of months I've slipped back into "TV as backdrop"; and loosing most of Saturday to a hangover. Enough already.

Take a little more care of myself. I never thought I'd fret about turning 40, but now it's going to happen this year, I'm fretting. I just don't have the resilience I did even five years ago - late nights, booze, stress - it's all beginning to catch up. So, a little more activity, less beer and a bit more me-time...

Oh, and I've decided to say something friendly to a stranger everyday. It's kinda freaky (especially when I speak to people on the tube in the morning and they think I'm mad) - but actually easier than I thought. It's all about putting a bit of good karma out there. Which is a AGT.

What about you ?

0 comments: